Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Cell Phone

It’s a cell-phone. Two simple words, but it has changed the type of telecommunication in human’s life. The cell-phone working model depends on the signal towers, just like the relation between bees and honeycomb. The cellular network usually set around the signal tower, and reception cover the area where users accept. In addition, the cell-phone makes distance much less troublesome and bringing people closer, but also bringing some bad affects on our health and public noise. Can you image living without the cell-phone? That would be horrible. Therefore, cell-phone has played an important role in the human’s life and telecommunication’s history.

If we understand the history of cell-phone, and then we can know how important cell-phone is. According to an LA Times article,〝the first cell-phone was used in Sweden by the Swedish police in 1946. 〞The report also said that early cell phone communication technology could be traced back to individuals with special radios that could patch into a phone line via live operator to make a phone call. That was very inconvenient and only a few people could use it, but technology often develops fast. The first commercially automated cellular network (the 1G generation) was launched in Japan by NTT. The NTT network was expanded to cover the whole population of Japan within five years. After that the second generation (2G) and the third generation (3G) cell-phone has developed very quickly during the past fifteen years. Finally, cell-phone become a common tool, everyone need and use it.

Though cell-phone solved the problem of distance and made people closer, but also bringing some bad affects like our health and public noise. Some critics say that a strong cell-phone signal could cause brain cancer. For example, people said we can’t put cell-phone in our pockets for a long time because it would make people sterility in the future. In addition, the cell-phone often makes noise in the public place such as in the classroom, hospital and museum which causes distraction and reduces productivity.

In the internet age, most people communicate through the cell-phone. It's hard to believe that fifteen years ago cell phones were a rarity. Now, the cell-phone is a tool to make people closer, solve the problem of distance and most likely very important in human evolution as well. Through sustainable development maybe cell-phone will be hidden in the human’s body and never leave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kansas State University. "Study: Consumers Don't Want Wallet Phones; Airline, Movie Tickets on Cell Phones More Acceptable." ScienceDaily 19 February 2010. 21 May 2010 .

13 comments:

  1. sometimes, i forget to bring my cellphone to go outside, i really feel uncomfortable and nervous, it's suck!!! In addition, it's hard to image living without cellphone. now, smart phone already become popular cellphone such as iphone and htc.everyone want to has one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cell phone causes brain cancer ? >"<. It's horrible, but we can't live without cell phone ^_<. In my opinion, we just use cell phone when we need them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes the cell phone is now like computer. I couldn't imagine that in the past. the cell phone is one of my best friend. kk

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The cell-phone working model depends on the signal towers, just like the relation between bees and honeycomb."
    This is very interesting.
    Yeah, nowadays, cell phone are playing a very important role in our life, and I can't image the life without cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything has two sides, cellphone in our lives is a very important role. Just like me, if I forgot bring my cellphone go out,I will feel very uncomfortable. Although I know that cellphone to people in poor health, but still can not do without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea, I can't believe people don't have cell phone to use, and how people lived with out cell phone in the past. However, sometime I still forget to bring it, and I worry about If my car break on the freeway in that day, how should I do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very good essay. I use cell-phone everyday, and i can not leave that. I can not imagine that if there is no cell-phone in the world, how the world can be? Eventhongh cell-phone is a big part of my life, but i don't know any imformation about it. After i read this essay, i know a lot. So thanks~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve,

    I like your third sentence "The cell-phone working model depends on the signal towers, just like the relation between bees and honeycomb." That is a very good example that describes they cannot separate each other. Also, your explaination of your second paragraph is very clear that tells us the evolution of cell-phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a here is very professional and specific essay! Steve, it was very informational and useful! it makes me understnad about cellphone more than before! By the way, what was your major? kk just curious

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think cell phone is a very high jump in the human development. If set with ourself for a while and think about the life in the past and how hard it was and the life in this time we will see how the cell phone made the live easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After saw your essay let me want to buy a new cell phone.haha~It cannot be denied that cell phone help us a lot but we have to worry about influence of cell phone.Such as student always use them during the class.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cell phone is really important to our life now. When I was in Korea, I used Cell phone. I never think I don't use cell phone because it is very uncomfortable to contact my family and friends. However, after I came to America, I don't use cell phone. Therefore, I think it's ok, but my friends feel uncomfortable because they can't contact to me. I think cell phone is already part of our life~!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These days, cell phone is a necessary evil. It is very useful in our life. moreover, it has many functions like a computer. However, it also make many problems. Students don't concentrate their class, and if they don't have a cell phone, they feel uncomfortable like toxic symptoms. We have to think about problems.

    ReplyDelete