Thursday, May 27, 2010

Taiwanese Phalaenopsis Orchids

According to the encyclopedia Britannica” The word orchid is derived from the Greek word (orchis) for testicle because of the shape of the root tubers in some species of the genus Orchis. These perennial plants are generally terrestrial or epiphytic herbs (i.e., growing on other plants rather than rooted in soil).” Taiwanese orchids only grow up in the subtropical zone, so it is impossible for them to live in dry zones. Things I know about orchid that they grow one season once a year. Also, they have different variety colors ranging in Taiwan such as pink, yellow, white, purple, and light green in solid colors, stripes, and spots. However, the Phalaenopsis orchid is the most famous and popular one. The reason why most people like it is because the pink color, and its florescence can last three to four months. In other words, the Phalaenopsis orchids have “superb longevity”, so many Japanese people like to order Taiwanese Phalaenopsis orchids to put in their homes to be rewarding and fun. On the other hand, other kinds of orchids’ florescence can only last for a few weeks. To buy the orchids from the garden centers, the prices of them depend on their species. A good quality of orchid has eight perfect petals, and its shape is close to a circle. In addition, orchids need 62 to 65 Degree Fahrenheit, adequate oxygen and fertilizer, 50% to 70% humidity to grow, and it has to have old dead roots carefully trimmed away. Above all, the Phalaenopsis orchids have those values to attract people who are extremely appreciative.

"Orchid." Encyclopedia Britannica, 1943. Web.
.

"Phalaenopsis orchids." Endemic Species Research Institute (2010): n. pag. Web. 20 May 2010.
.

9 comments:

  1. they're very beautiful. In my country, many people like that but there are few people bring them to plant in their house because it's hard to plant. Your essay is good, but i'm confused about this phrase: "they have different variety colors..."Can u check that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orchid is really beautiful, My mom like it so much, that is why I choose this topic too! haha, but I'm a little bit hard to change mine to maje it better, I'm still work on it. anyway! I lke ur paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was young, my parents like orchid, because orchid make a house jungle like forest. Actually, my home has many many orchids. That is in the pot. very very many~~~...but,,, sadly, my brothers and I always played baseball and soccer in the house.. Those pots were broken, because of ball,,, Not my fault~~ that is my brothers' fault~~ haha. But now, my brothers are mature, but my nephews and I are not mature. My nephews and I play baseball and soccer in the house, so,,, finally,, my house has bad environment to raise orchid. And also orchid is hard to raise, so I think if my brothers, nephew and I don't play sports in the house, maybe orchids all die because my mother can't raise plants very well~

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom love Taiwanese orchids, so my home have lot of orchids. Although my mom didn't take orchids to joined the contest, my uncle did it and won the place. Taiwanese orchids really attracted people and people can see orchids everywhere in Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Zoe, Bill, and Carina,

    I am so surpaise that all of our mothers like orchid.

    My mom stand up because of she wants to take care the orchids. - - '''

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow~ i reviewed this essay before, now is batter than i first saw it. Taiwanese orchids only grow up in taiwan. according to report, there are over 20 different types only grow up in taiwan so it is very important income to taiwanese flower farm.i also have a lot of different orchid in my home, in taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah my father loves orchids, so there are a great deal of orchids in our home! I want to show you. You absolutely will be surprised to see it! kkkk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phalaenopsis Orchids is a very beautiful flower. I remembered that my mother planted Phalaenopsis Orchids before, but they were all died because the seasons. That was so sad, after that, my mother never planted Phalaenopsis Orchids. She said that if she had some technology, she would try to plant Phalaenopsis Orchids again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think many people like orchids. Phalaenopsis Orchids is one of best orchids. I saw many orchids in my home because my father collect that. However, I don't know why it is popular.
    After i will go back to my country, I will check which color is better.

    ReplyDelete