Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Rewards

I believe that no one likes to be punished, and the best way to learn more is obtain rewards. When I was a kindergarten teacher, my students learned new things everyday in this period. When my studentsbehavior was correct, I gave them rewards, like candies, cartoon stickers, and hugs. They were very cheerful when they got rewards. Why did I give them rewards? Because I wanted to encourage them do this behavior again. Rewards teach them that as long as they do something right, teacher will give them candies. Therefore, they changed behavior into a good way that I expected. Usually, rewards can be divided into two categories. One is tangible, like candies, money, and presents; another is intangible, such as warm hugs, kind gestures, and positive praise. Children like to get tangible rewards. However, when we grow up, sometimes intangible rewards can affect us a lot. Take me for example. Last week, when Dean asked us that what ‘’imply’’ mean, I answered the question immediately: ‘’deduce’’ which is a new vocabulary that he had taught us a few days before. Dean was very surprised at my response because even he didn’t connect this word instantly. He smiled and said ‘’ good job, Sunjing’’ at least three times. I felt a surge of confidence when I heard Dean’s praise and, and I will never forget this word, ‘’deduce.’’ Also, this experience encourages me to use new words more in class. If I do this, it is not only good for me to remember the words longer but also I can get positive attention, which is a reward that most people enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. haha..
    Jim gave us candies like you. Also, because of Mr.’s praise, not only make you to remember the word, but also much of us remember it.
    Good job, Sunjing!
    kkkk…

    ReplyDelete