Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Very Important Way of Learning

I think experiential learning is much more beneficial than rote learning. Rote learning is never helpful to your knowledge. Once you memorize something by rote learning, you may find that you forget it quickly. Here is my experience. My old high school had students study in rote learning. That’s because we had to prepare for the difficult Korean “SAT”. There were too many contents to memorize. So the only memory I have about high school is the fact that I was sitting the whole day memorizing something. In the end, soon after taking that ‘big’ test, I forgot much of what I learned. As time goes by, I am forgetting more and more. How sorry I am. I feel like all information which was in my head is blowing away. In contrast, you can learn a variety of things from experiential learning. First of all, experiencing directly make you remember more easily and better than memorization because you did it yourself. Also, contents from experiential learning last longer because you experience directly. I still remember when I had an experiment to see how a volcano erupts. Even better, I still remember materials which were needed, how long it took and principle which was used. Most of all, I recommend experiential learning because it can be helpful to socialize students. School has a role as a ‘socializer’. For example, as you do your group-task, you can learn how to cooperate well, or you can learn that you have to achieve your role. Also you can have a variety of experiences. I bet you will be a person who has a wide field of view. So I think experiential learning is much more beneficial than rote learning in school.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Great paragraph. Here is one change you need to make in regard to agreement: "...experiencing directly make you remember more easily." Change "make" to "makes" (experiencing directly = it).

    Here is one more change in Word Choice (WC):
    "...you can learn that you have to achieve your role." Not sure what "achieve your role" means. Might be better to write, "accomplish your assigned task."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about your opinion. I also came to America in order to get more experience. Actually, it is very important. If you only learned in the school, perhaps you will forget.
    Goodddddddddd paragraph

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to meet u yumi!!!
    i agree too~we all need more experience to add our english skill!
    fighting together~:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. just memorizing it means we can forget easily. experience is the most important thing that even we learn english. that's why we are here to learn english.

    ReplyDelete