Monday, April 12, 2010

Studying Abroad

When I was 24 years old, I couldn’t decide between getting a job and studying abroad. It was my most important decision. Most of my friends already had a job and made money so I also wanted to get a job like friends. However, my parents didn’t want me to do that because they thought I need to experience and study more in addition they believed if I study more in other country, I can get a better job. I really worried about that for 1 month, but I couldn’t decide. Actually I almost decided not to go abroad because I had many reasons. First, many friends didn't want me to go USA. They wanted to play with me because I always made interesting. I also didn’t want to be off with my friends. Second reason was time. If I study more, I have to spent 3 or 4 years. It means when I was 30 years old, I would have to get a job. I think it is very late. Last, most important thing was my girlfriend. When she knew about my worry, she always said “please don’t leave me. If I go there, I will not wait for you.”When I heard that, my mind was very sick. I really love her so I didn’t want to hurt and leave her. I decided not to go. Someday while I was watching TV, my uncle, Wookhee Hong, visited my home. When I was young, he used to play with me and teach me. He is 13 years older than me. Since I was young, I respect and envy him because he is very smart, and he always got scholarships. While my mother is giving some drinks to him, she told him about my concern. After he heard, he told me about his life. When he was 25 years old, he had the same concern. However, he decided to study abroad. He studied for 5years and then he got a job. He got a job later than other people. However, he held high position and made a lot of money. He said English is very important. He said “Seokhee!! Don’t miss a chance. If you miss this chance, you will regret forever. Don’t think you are losing something right now. When you become better person than now, you can get more. Please go.” I had already known that, but I still couldn’t decide easily. However after I heard his advice, I felt my mind was changed by him. When I brought the news to my girlfriend, she cried a lot. I went to United States after a few days. I am studying at CPELI now and I broke up with my girlfriend. However, I really don’t regret now because I have a goal and I will become a great person. This decision was very difficult, but I believe my life will be better than before this decision.

4 comments:

  1. Ha Ha!!!!
    I have the same problem!!! Your desicion is good for you, you would be more better in English!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its ok, Tom!!! You will back home soon!!! I think you really change a lot during stay at U.S, maybe....haha, anyway, good luck! for everthing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad to know more about you. I'm sure that you will be a success in your life. I hope you are going to give me some advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah~is that true??
    Your girlfriend is very beautiful and cute.hahaha~ Lucky Tom~
    I think the age is the same problem between us. Many friends are working now ,and first I think study abroad needs long time. However, it may change my life~

    ReplyDelete