Sunday, April 11, 2010

Studying abroad

Studying abroad when I was twenty- six years old was the most important decision I have ever made. I was a kindergarten teacher in Taiwan. But after working for two years, I had a question about my life: is this the life that I want? It is just a normal life, working, marriage, having a baby and waiting to die. In addition, the salary in the private school is very low unless I have other skills like music, art or English. So, I made a decision to study abroad to learn something new. However, it wasn’t an easy step to take because my parents opposed my idea. They thought that studying abroad is a chance to meet something new, but it cannot guarantee I can get a better job after I graduate. Now I am learning English in a language school in Los Angeles and I got an admission from Cal Poly, Pomona to earn a master degree this fall. When I got this admission, I was very happy. However, when I told my mother this good news over the phone, she was not happy. She almost cried and said, ‘’Can’t you come back to Taiwan and find a job? You can study in Taiwan.’’ I didn’t know how to respond to her request. Actually, before I came to Los Angeles, I already knew that my family finances can not support me to study abroad. I still have to get a loan from bank to make tuition arrangements for my future study. Even though my mother and I already understood this fact, she still worries about t when I graduate in the USA, I will not find a better job to pay back the bank. Now I am still in this process. Since no one can predict the future, I have no idea yet if my decision is right or wrong. The only thing that I can do is do my best!

5 comments:

  1. Hi~Sunjing,
    I understood your situation, but I believe you can get your goal and dream in America. Because you know what you want, right? I am proud of you~go go go ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow What a independent woman you are! I admire your brave chice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sunjing!! You have almost no errors on this paragraph. Good writing. Here are two small corrections: ‘’can’t you come back Taiwan and find a job? You can study in Taiwan.’’ "can't" should be "Can't"

    Rule: Use capital letters in the following situations.

    1. The first word in a sentence or a quotation

    He said, “Dinner is ready.”

    "come back Taiwan" should be "come back to Taiwan" Other examples: "Sunjing, I'm glad that you come TO class everyday." Jim went TO the store. Many students come to the United States TO study.

    Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also appreciate how you highlighted the changes you made. This is very helpful so that others can see the changes you made. Good thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adele and Yumi:^^ thank you!
    I will persist on my dream until it become true.

    Jim: I have edited my paragraph.^^""

    ReplyDelete