Monday, April 12, 2010

Studying Abroad

Leaving home to study abroad when I was twenty-one years old was the most important decision I have ever made, but it wasn’t an easy step to take. When I studied in China, my major was financial management. Good students who graduated with this major would be employed by the banks. However, because of the financial crisis, the students who graduated from a college without experience had difficulty getting hired by the banks. As a result, I didn’t find a job and I just stayed at home after I graduated for a few months. My father thought I was too young to go to work, so he asked me if I wanted to study abroad to broaden my horizons and enrich my life. I had never gone abroad before, and I didn’t want to leave my family so far away, but I also didn’t want to waste time before I found a good job. “Are there any friends or relatives in Los Angeles?” I asked. “No,” Mom said, “but Wendy, trust yourself.” When Mom said this, a tear trickled down my cheek. I finished her sentences in my mind, “You should not stay with your family for your whole life, and you should create your own life.” “I know, Mom,” I said and tried valiantly to smile through my tears. I didn’t want them to be disappointed with me, so I decided to go to America by myself. At the beginning, I felt lonely and I didn’t want to talk with other people because my English was very poor. The teachers in CPELI and my classmates were really helping me very much, and I built my confidence when I got good scores on the tests. I learned how to communicate with others and made some good friends here. The decision to study abroad helped me to be firm and learn to stand on my own two feet.

9 comments:

  1. Wow it shows good use of narrative and dialogue and beautiful word choices! I hope you will also have a great time in the future like now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i agree with what Yumi said. your narrative and dialogue is very good. I'm a little hungry right now, I did't eat anything since I got up this morning. After all, this is a good article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your word choices use suitable for this writing.After read this i feel homesick now!!!
    Leaving home to study abroad is really lonely for everyone.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chioce is good for you!!! When I read your reading, it speak to my heart!!!!
    I miss my family so much!!! How about you??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I delighted I made good friends here,too. I can't image that one day I leave school and say goodbye with all my classmates >"<

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an excellent essay. It has great content: great dialogue and clear narrative. It is also touching and well written. In addition, I can't find any grammar errors!! Well done, Wendy! I know you turn this experience into a great life and a powerful career.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Wendy:^^
    yea..I envy you still young and have time to enjoy study abroad. XDD
    I believe you will have a wonderful life here. enjoy it!!!^:) gogogo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small woods~~~ahaha
    I also want to go back!!!!!

    ReplyDelete